On January 6,2021 Trump supporters stormed the United States Captiol as a result of their delusional thoughts that Trump unfairly lost the presidential election. Rioters took the Capitol by force-not caring who they took down in the process nor what damage they caused.
The rioters embodied ‘thug’ behavior, a term loosely used to describe their opposition-black lives matter movement supporters. January 6th,2021 showed the world who the real thugs are.
Lives were lost and America was changed forever.
January 6th,2021 showed that white supremacy trumps all and as long as the viewpoint of those in power aligns with those causing unrest, they are permitted. Donald Trump has blatantly encouraged and embraced violence since his inauguration, causing a riot to be a summation of all of the damage he has down and the hatred he has brought out of individuals.
Donald Trump made racists, bigots, thugs, domestic terrorists feel comfortable enough to openly show their beliefs with no repercussions. Trump created and enabled a country of hate for 4 long years.
There were endless statements and events that led up to the riot at the United States Capitol:
1.On April 30th,2020 Armed protestors rushed into the Michigan State Capitol Building and two were charged with attempted with the kidnapping of Governor Gretchen Whitmer. Donald Trump followed up with a tweet stating “The governor of Michigan should give a little, put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.”
2. On September 8,2020 Brian Murphy, a whistleblower in the DHS submitted a complaint stating that two senior DHS officials attempted to suppress threat assessments of white supremacy because they would make Donald Trump look bad. Murphy stated that he was asked to modify the section reflecting white supremacy to make the threat seem less severe.
3. On September 23,2020 Donald Trump was asked if he would ensure that the transfer of power would be peaceful if he lost the election. Trump responded “Well, we’re going to have to see what happens.” He then went on to say “Get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful- there won’t be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation.”
4. On September 29,2020 during the first presidential debate Donald Trump refused to condemn white supremacy,in fact he told the proud boys to “stand back and stand by.”
5. On November1,2020 Donald Trump stated that “these patriots did nothing wrong,” in response to the Trump supporters who swarmed a Biden campaign bus in San Antonio,Texas.
6. On December 12,2020 Donald trump tweets “Wow! Thousands of people forming in Washington, D.C. for Stop the Steal. Didn’t know about this, but I’ll be seeing them! #MAGA”
7. On December 19,2020 Trump tweets “Statistically impossible to have lost the 2020 Election…Big protest in DC on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”
8. On December 27,2020 Donald trump tweeted “See you in Washington, DC, on January 6th, Don't miss it. Information to follow.”
The world is currently waiting to see what will happen to those involved in the riot at the Captiol, however, one thing is for sure-if the color of the skin of the rioters had been black,brown, and colored the arrests and deaths at the end of the riot would have been endless.
Donald Trump has openly condemned Black Lives Matter movement leaders which the direct opposite of his embracement of white supremacist. This in fact because Donald trump is the ultimate white supremacist.
This act was a riot not a movement. A riot that is fueled by something that cannot be changed, a riot that is the result of the loss of a presidential election, not the stripping of rights or the result of a wrong doing or inequality. ____________________________________________________________________________
Not only are present day Black Lives Matter Protests met with violence, but the entire Civil Rights Movement was as well. This is nothing new.
Protesters have always been met with violence.
Dogs have been released on protesters, police have brutally beaten protesters, protestors have been hosed down with water-the brutality is endless.
There is no middle space between a riot and a protest the difference in America is the color of the skin of those involved. When the participants are white it is a protest but when the participants are black or people of color it is a riot.
Rochester, New York July 25,1964.
Birmingham, Alabama May 6,1963
A new day with the same treatment.
Protests for Civil Rights and Social and Racial Justice/Equality are met with violence despite being peaceful and standing for a real cause.
January 6,2021 should enrage people and forever carve into our minds that we need to put ourselves in positions of power and when we get into those positions not to back down even when the entire system might appear to be against us. Donald Trump is an example of an abuse of power, however, he also exemplified what can happen when your beliefs are backed by an entire system. Imagine a society where those in power no longer openly encourage and enable white supremacy, a society where the tables are turned. It will not happen tomorrow, nor will it happen the next day, but it will happen as long as we continue to fight. Let the fight for what's right continue!